History Podcasts

Frank North

Frank North

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Frank North was born at Ludlowville on 10th March, 1840. His family moved to Nebraska in 1856. He became involved in transporting goods between Omaha and Fort Kearny. During this work he made contact with local Pawnee. North learnt their language and in 1860 he was employed on the Pawnee reservation near Fullerton, Nebraska. Later he worked as an interpreter at the reservation.

In 1864 North became involved in guiding troops to Fort Kearny. He impressed Major General Samuel R. Curtis with his knowledge of the Pawnees. Curtis suggested that North should organize a company of Pawnee scouts to help the army during the Indian Wars. North agreed to this proposal and was given the rank of lieutenant and placed under the command of Captain Joseph McFadden.

The following year North was promoted to captain and was commissioned to raise a company of 100 Pawnees with headquarters at Fort Kearny. In 1865 North's Pawnee Scouts accompanied Brigadier General Patrick Connor on the North Plains expedition from Julesburg to the Tongue River. On 23rd August the Pawnees fought against a Sioux and Cheyenne war party and killed 34 warriors. Later that month the scouts directed Connor and his men to an Arapaho village and was able to capture 750 horses and mules.

In March 1867 General Christopher Auger commissioned North to enlist 200 Pawnee scouts. Major North was given the task of using these men to protect workers building the Union Pacific Railroad. They did this successfully and were able to defeat a Cheyenne war party that had derailed a train at Plum Creek.

North and his Pawnees played an important role in the victory over Tall Bull and his warriors at Summit Springs, Colorado, on 11th July, 1869. Over the next couple of years North and his men were based at Fort Russell, Wyoming with the 3rd Cavalry.

North served under General George Crook in the wars against the Sioux. Based at Fort Laramie the Pawnee Scouts combined with the men led by Ranad Mackenzie to defeat the Cheyenne at Powder River on 25th November, 1876.

The Pawnee Scouts were disbanded in May, 1877. North also left the army and joined up with his brother Luther North and Buffalo Bill Cody to purchase a ranch on the Dismal River in Nebraska.

In 1883 North joined Cody's Wild West Show. The following year he was badly hurt when he was thrown from his horse and trampled on at Hartford, Connecticut.

Frank North retired to Columbus, Nebraska, on 14th March, 1885.

Frank North - History

"History and Stories of Nebraska"
by Addison Erwin Sheldon

Produced by Connie Snyder


The pioneers of Nebraska owe a great debt of gratitude to the Pawnee scouts and their gallant white leader, Major Frank North. During the Sioux and Cheyenne wars on the Nebraska frontier, from 1864 to 1877, these brave Indians, by their courage and vigilance, defended our border, saving the lives of hundreds of settlers. In all the campaigns the Pawnee scouts were at the front. They knew the country through years of buffalo hunting. They knew the ways and the camping grounds of their old enemies, the Sioux, Cheyennes and Arapahoes. In their memories were the old wars of their fathers, and the blood of friends killed by a cruel foe. Spurred by these memories they led the way to the hostile camps. They stampeded the enemy's ponies, fought bravely in every battle and never stopped at hunger or hardship in the long hard rides. The story of the Pawnee scouts and their service to the people of Nebraska is one never to be forgotten.

When the sudden storm of the Sioux and Cheyenne war broke on the Nebraska border in the summer of 1864, the white people were taken by surprise. This was during the war between the North and the South, when many of the settlers had enlisted and left their families without protection. Hundreds of settlers and emigrants were killed, ranches and wagon trains burned, stock run off and butchered. As the story of the murders and burnings was brought in, there was terror in all the settlements. Everywhere the Indians were reported as being just at hand. Many settlers left their homes and fled to the Missouri River while others gathered at central ranches and hastily threw up intrenchments.

The few United States soldiers on our frontier were not experienced in fighting Indians. A call was made for Pawnee scouts. Frank North was then twenty-four years old and a clerk at the Pawnee agency in what is now Nance County. He had settled at Columbus in 1858, lived among the Pawnees, learned their language and gained their confidence. He was made first lieutenant of the first company of Pawnee scouts, and soon after became captain, then major and remained their leader until they were mustered out of service.

Their first important achievement was in General Connor's campaign in 1865. On August 22d, Captain North with forty scouts struck the trail of twenty-seven Sioux of Red Cloud's band, who had just killed a party of fifteen soldiers. He followed the trail all day and all night, overtook the Sioux at daybreak and scalped every warrior, bringing back the horses and mules they had stolen. This was the first victory over the Sioux in this war. A few days later the Pawnee scouts led General Connor's army to a great camp of fifteen hundred hostile Arapahoes under Chief Black Bear. A complete victory was won, in which over two hundred Arapahoes were slain, and seven hundred ponies and all the tepees captured. The village with all its goods was burned and the destitute Arapahoes were glad to come in to Fort Laramie and make peace.

In 1867 Captain North was made major of a battalion of four companies of Pawnees, fifty Indians in each company. They were armed with the new Spencer repeating rifles or "seven shooters" and their special duty was to protect the workmen in building the Union Pacific Railroad. The hostile Indians had nearly stopped its construction by killing men, burning stations and running off stock.

The Pawnee battalion took up this work with delight. It had 300 miles of road from Plum Creek (now Lexington), in Dawson County to the Laramie Plains, to protect. The Sioux were completely surprised when they found their old enemy the Pawnees on their trail, with good horses and rifles and the United States back of them. After one or two sharp skirmishes, in which they were chased long distances with loss, their raids on the railroad became rare.

  1. James R Murie. Interpreter and student of Pawnee folk lore. Son of Captain Murie of Major North's battalion.
  2. Captain Jim. His name under North was Koot-tah-wi-kootz-tah-kah (White Hawk). He served several times, is a medicine man and chief of Peta-hau-rata band.
  3. John Buffalo. His name under North was Ree-tit-ka-wi (Feather in scalp-lock). He served several times, is a Skidi and a medicine man, and served as Friar in a company.
  4. John Box, whose name when serving as a scout was Kee-wah-koo-pa-hat (Red Fox). He is a progressive Indian and one of the leading men among the Skidis.
  5. High Eagle, whose name was Lay-tah-cots-si-ti-tu-hu-rey-ri-ku-kak-kit-ka-hoc. He was very young when scouting.
  6. Seeing Eagle, a Skidi, and a warrior who served under North each time. His name when scouting was Lay-tah-cots-si-ti-ti-rit (They saw an eagle).
  7. Belly Osborne, a Skidi who was with North every time. He was a sergeant in Company A. His name under North was Koot-tah-wi-koots-rah-rah-he-coots (Brave Hawk).

August 1,1867, the Cheyenne chief "Turkey Leg" with his band tore up a culvert four miles west of Plum Creek and ditched a Union Pacific freight train. They killed the trainmen, broke open the cars, stole everything they could take and burned the train. Captain Murie with one company of Pawnee scouts, chased old Turkey Leg out of the state, killing fifteen warriors and capturing the chief's nephew and a squaw. This discouraged Turkey Leg so much that he came into North Platte, gave up the six white prisoners he had in exchange for his nephew and the squaw, made peace, and became a good Indian.

The Sioux Chief Tall Bull with a hostile band roamed over western Kansas and Nebraska for a long time, murdering, robbing, burning and dodging the soldiers sent after him. On July 12,1869, Major North and the Pawnee scouts guided General Carr with the Fifth Cavalry to Tall Bull's camp hidden in the sandhills between the Platte and the Frenchman's Fork, just west of the Nebraska state line. The battle of Summit Springs which followed completely wiped out Tall Bull and his band. Fifty-two warriors were killed, and the camp with over four hundred horses and mules captured. Two white women prisoners were in Tall Bull's tent. When he found the soldiers were upon him he killed one and wounded the other. The one wounded was a German woman whose husband had been murdered in Kansas. In the captured camp was a great deal of rich plunder taken from white people, including jewelry and over $1,500 in twenty-dollar gold pieces. This fell into the hands of soldiers and Pawnee scouts. Later when it was found that much of this gold had been taken from the dead husband of the wounded woman the white soldiers brought in $300 and the Pawnee scouts $600 and placed this sum in her hands on the battlefield.

The defeat of Tall Bull's band was one of the greatest blessings to the Nebraska border. The Nebraska legislature passed a vote of thanks to General Carr's command, especially mentioning Major North and the Pawnee scouts.

For two years the Pawnee scouts continued to guard and patrol the Union Pacific Railroad, making it possible to run regular trains to the Pacific Ocean. In January, 1871, the scouts were mustered out of service while Major North remained as scout and guide.

In the summer of 1876 the Sioux under Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse were again on the warpath. General Custer and all his command were killed on the Little Big Horn in Montana. There were seven or eight thousand Sioux under Red Cloud and Spotted Tail in what is now Dawes and Sioux counties, Nebraska, near Fort Robinson. It was feared that they would break away and join the hostile Indians. General Sheridan ordered Major North to go to Indian Territory, where the Pawnee tribe now lived, and to enlist one hundred scouts to serve against the Sioux. There was great excitement on the Pawnee reserve when Major North came. He found the Pawnees very poor. All of them wanted to go with him. He picked out his one hundred men and was followed for eighty miles by others begging to enlist.

With these one hundred scouts Major North reached Fort Robinson, October 22,1876, and without resting was ordered to march forty miles with a regiment of cavalry. After an all night march they surprised Red Cloud's camp near Chadron at daybreak and captured it without a shot. All the ponies of Red Cloud's band, over 700, were taken by the Pawnees to Fort Laramie and sold, while the Indians were marched on foot to Fort Robinson and kept to the end of the war. It was a bitter disgrace for the proud Sioux to have their ponies taken away from them by their old Pawnee enemies and Red Cloud never forgot it.

In November, General Crook ordered Major North and the Pawnee scouts to march north for a winter campaign against the Sioux and Cheyennes. The Indian scouts brought news that they had found a large Cheyenne camp in a pocket of the Big Horn mountains so well concealed that it would be impossible to approach it in daylight. General McKenzie was ordered by General Crook to make a night march with 800 white cavalry and 70 Pawnee scouts. All night the soldiers rode over a terribly rough and dangerous region with their Pawnee guides at the head. Toward morning they heard the sound of Indian drums.

The Cheyennes were dancing a scalp dance over the return of a successful war party. About daybreak the warriors, tired with dancing, went to sleep. A little later the Pawnees and soldiers burst into their camp. The Cheyennes fought desperately, for they were fighting for their homes and their winter living. Most of them escaped to the rough ground from which they fired on the troops. All the Cheyenne ponies, 650 in number, were taken by the Pawnees. General McKenzie ordered all the Cheyenne lodges, all their rich buffalo robes and winter provisions to be piled and burned to ashes, and the Cheyennes saw them burn. A heavy snowstorm came on and General McKenzie marched back, taking with him the Indian ponies and leaving the band destitute.

The miserable Cheyennes with their women and children made their way on foot to the camp of Crazy Horse on Powder River. Over forty of their number died from exposure and starvation on the way. Stern Crazy Horse shut his doors in their face. He was so angry because they had permitted themselves to be outwitted and surprised that he would give them no help. There was nothing for the Cheyennes to do but to drag themselves across the cold plains to Fort Robinson and surrender to the whites.

All the cold winter the war went on. General Crook never rested nor gave the enemy rest. There was no chance for the Sioux that winter to hunt buffalo or elk The terrible cavalry and the Pawnee scouts, their old enemies, were on their trail. In the spring the starving and ragged remnants of the once proud Sioux of the plains came in and surrendered on Nebraska soil at Fort Robinson. It was a great day for the Pawnee scouts when they were mustered out of service May 1, 1877, and returned to Indian Territory to tell the story of Red Cloud's ponies and Crazy Horse's surrender.

After the war was over Major North engaged with W. F. Cody (Buffalo Bill) in cattle ranching on the Dismal River in western Nebraska. Thousands of their cattle ranged the sand hills. Their ranch door was open wide without price to all honest travelers, but cattle and horse thieves, white or red, soon learned to dread the fearless spirits and ready rifles waiting for them there. Many are the stirring and true stories told of Frank North in those ranching days.

In 1882 the people of Platte County elected Major North to the Nebraska legislature. He died at Columbus March 14, 1885, aged forty-five years, leaving a wife and daughter. All the people of Nebraska mourned his loss, for he was not only a brave soldier but kind and just and true in all his life.

Only a few of the famous Pawnee scouts who followed Major North and kept the Nebraska border in the stormy years of war and frontiering now survive. Those whom I saw on their reservation in Oklahoma were a fine group of sturdy men with strong fearless faces. Their eyes light up when the name of Major North is mentioned, and looking up into the sky they speak with deepest love and admiration his Pawnee name, "Pani-LeShar."

  1. Why were the Pawnees and white men together able to defeat the hostile Indians when neither one alone could make headway against them?
  2. Why did the hostile Indians try to prevent the building of the Union Pacific Railroad?
  3. Did General Crook do right in taking away all their ponies from Red Cloud's band? Ought the United States to pay for them?
  4. What qualities do you think a white man must have to become a leader among Indians?


Born in La Grange, North Carolina, Frank was raised in Greensboro, North Carolina. Lucas claims that the incident that sparked his motivation into the life of crime was witnessing his 12-year-old cousin's murder at the hands of the KKK, for apparently "reckless eyeballing" (looking at a Caucasian woman), in Greensboro, North Carolina. e drifted through a life of petty crime until one particular occasion when, after a fight with a former employer, whose daughter he had been having an affair with. In the ensuing fight, Lucas hit the father on the head with a pipe, knocking him out cold. He then stole $400 from the company till and set the establishment on fire, as he was forced to flee to New York City on the behest of his mother, who feared that he would be caught, arrested and jailed for much of his life (if not lynched). Γ] Upon arriving in Harlem in 1949, he quickly began indulging in petty crime and pool hustling before he was taken under the wing of gangster Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson. His connection to Bumpy has come under some doubt, however. Lucas claimed to have been Johnson's driver for 15 years, although Johnson spent just 5 years out of prison before his death in 1968. And according to Johnson's widow, much of the narrative that Lucas claims actually belonged to another young hustler named Zach Walker, who lived with Bumpy and his family and later betrayed him.his coat and hat got him caught

History of Hymns: "Where Cross the Crowded Ways of Life"

Following the Civil War, jobs provided through the industrial revolution encouraged many to move to the cities, especially to the northeastern United States. Frank Mason North (1850-1935) composed one of the first social gospel hymns devoted to the special needs of the increasing urban reality.

Educated at Wesleyan University and ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1872, North served congregations in Florida, New York, and Connecticut. He influenced many organizations, serving as editor of The Christian City (1892-1912), one of the founders of Methodist Federation for Social Service (1907), corresponding secretary of the New York Church Extension and Missionary Society (1892-1912), secretary of the Board of Foreign Missions (1912-1924), and president of the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America (1916-1929). North’s importance for Methodist missions is attested today by the granting of the Frank Mason North Award for Distinguished Mission Service by the General Board of Global Ministries.

North was an early leader in ecumenical issues as well as ahead of his time as an advocate for women’s rights, child labor laws, and workers’ rights to organize. In addition, he was the co-founder of The Institutional and Open Church League and co-author of the Methodist Social Creed. The Methodist Social Creed (1908) reflected the Social Gospel Movement led by Walter Rauschenbusch (1861-1918), a Baptist pastor and professor at Rochester Theological Seminary. Rauschenbusch and his followers formed the Brotherhood of Religion in 1892, declaring “the Spirit of God is moving men in our generation toward a better understanding of the idea of the Kingdom of God on earth.”

Rauschenbusch’s A Theology of the Social Gospel (1917) viewed sin not only as an individual attribute, but also as part of social structures:

The Methodist Social Creed in its original form articulated Rauschenbusch’s vision in specific terms, especially in the area of labor rights, the abuses of which were rampant during the industrialization in the northeastern United States. The Social Creed of the Methodist Episcopal Church stood:

“For equal rights and complete justice for all men in all stations of life.

For the principles of conciliation and arbitration in industrial dissensions.

For the protection of the worker from dangerous machinery, occupational diseases, injuries and mortality.

For the abolition of child labor.

For such regulation of the conditions of labor for women as shall safeguard the physical and moral health of the community.

. . . For the recognition of the Golden Rule and the mind of Christ as the supreme law of society and the sure remedy for all social ills.

To the toilers of America and to those who by organized effort are seeking to lift the crushing burdens of the poor, and to reduce the hardships and uphold the dignity of labor, this Council sends the greeting of human brotherhood and the pledge of sympathy and of help in a cause which belongs to all who follow Christ.”

With New York City as the backdrop, “Where cross the crowded ways of life” was written at the suggestion of Caleb T. Winchester for the committee that prepared the 1905 Methodist Hymnal. The tune GERMANY, to which the hymn is usually sung in the United States, was chosen by the committee. The text first appeared under the title “A Prayer for the Multitudes” in the June 1903 issue of The Christian City. The author of many hymns, North first had his poetry published in Hymns and Other Verses (1931).

When the request came to North to compose a hymn on a missionary theme, he protested his ability to write hymns,, but promised to try his hand. Shortly before this appeal to prepare a hymn, he had preached a sermon on Matthew 22:9 with a translation of the passage as “Go ye therefore into the parting of the highways.” This idea captured his imagination as he thought of the traffic of the great urban centers of the United States and beyond.

The hymn is as current as it was when first written over 100 years ago. We still struggle with the divisiveness resulting from the “cries of race and clan.” Our cities are still “haunts of wretchedness and greed” and places that “lure… with greed.” Responding to “tender childhood’s helplessness,” “woman’s grief” and “man’s burdened toil” (stanza three), North reminds us of the one who offers a “cup of water” that “holds the freshness of [Christ’s] grace” (Matthew 10:42). North prays for the transformation of urban hopelessness into places that reflect the “glorious heaven above . . ., the city of our God,” a reference to Revelation 21.

“Where cross the crowded ways of life” has served as a paradigm for some of the great hymns on the city that followed later in the twentieth century including “O holy city, seen of John” (The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 726) written in the same decade by Episcopalian priest Walter Russell Bowie (1882-1969), and two British hymn writers observing urban blight in the 1960s and 1970s, “All who love and serve your city” (The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 433) by Erik Routley (1917-1982) and “When the church of Jesus” (The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 592) by Fred Pratt Green (1903-2000).

C. Michael Hawn is University Distinguished Professor of Church Music, Perkins School of Theology, SMU.

Von Frank - North

The Von Frank - North is a arsenic and antimony mine located in Alaska.

About the MRDS Data:

All mine locations were obtained from the USGS Mineral Resources Data System. The locations and other information in this database have not been verified for accuracy. It should be assumed that all mines are on private property.

Mine Info

Name: Von Frank - North

Primary Mineral: Arsenic, Antimony

Lat, Long: 63.545, -154.35300

Von Frank - North MRDS details

Site Name

Primary: Von Frank - North


Primary: Arsenic
Primary: Antimony
Secondary: Cobalt
Secondary: Gold


State: Alaska
District: McGrath

Land Status






Record Type: Site
Operation Category: Occurrence
Operation Type: Unknown
Years of Production:


Mineral Deposit Model

Model Name: Polymetallic veins




Alteration Type: L
Alteration Text: Sericite-quartz-ankerite in intrusion.


Role: Associated
Age Type: Associated Rock
Age in Years: 70.000000+-
Age Young: Late Cretaceous

Analytical Data


Ore: Pyrite
Ore: Arsenopyrite
Gangue: Quartz


Comment (Exploration): Status = Inactive

Comment (Geology): Age = Chronological age is for Von Frank Mountain.

Comment (Workings): Workings / Exploration = In 1991, Central Alaska Gold Company began a sampling program and encountered auriferous mineralization in a border phase of the Von Frank Mountain intrusion (DiMarchi and others, 1994). In 1992, Clautice and others (1993) collected grab samples of intrusive-hosted mineralization, which contained up to 78 ppb gold, 192 ppm antimony, and 100 ppm cobalt.

Comment (Geology): Age = the age of mineralization is Late Cretaceous, based on inferred age of 70.0 Ma Von Frank Mountain pluton (Moll and others, 1981).

Comment (Reference): Primary Reference = Clautice and others, 1993

Comment (Deposit): Other Comments = See Von Frank - South prospect (MD036). The Von Frank - North occurrence is on lands selected or owned by Doyon Ltd. For further information, contact Doyon Ltd. at 210 1st Ave, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701.

Comment (Geology): Geologic Description = Thin stockwork-type arsenopyrite-pyrite veins developed in granodiorite at the west side of Von Frank Mountain intrusion. No dimensions or aerial extent are given (Clautice and others, 1993 DiMarchi and others, 1994) the age of mineralization is Late Cretaceous, based on inferred age of 70.0 Ma Von Frank Mountain pluton (Patton and others, 1980 Moll and others, 1981). In 1992, Clautice and others (1993) collected grab samples of intrusive-hosted mineralization, which contained up to 78 ppb gold, 192 ppm antimony, and 100 ppm cobalt.

Comment (Deposit): Model Name = Polymetallic vein (Cox and Singer, 1986 model no. 22c)

The New York drug kingpin has been at large since 1973

It was the first week of January 1973. Frank Matthews and his young girlfriend had just spent the holidays in Las Vegas and were about to board a flight to Los Angeles. In the previous several years, Matthews had made many trips to Las Vegas, carrying suitcases full of cash to be secretly laundered at casinos for a fee of 15 to 18 percent. This time, federal drug enforcement agents were waiting and placed him and the woman under arrest at McCarran International Airport.

Two weeks before, U.S. prosecutors in Brooklyn, New York, had issued an arrest warrant for Matthews, the top black drug kingpin in America whose heroin and cocaine trafficking gang of mostly African-American dealers extended to 21 states on the Eastern Seaboard. He was charged with trying to sell about 40 pounds of cocaine in Miami from April to September 1972, a small fraction of the drugs he’d pushed since 1968.

The feds believed Matthews had millions in currency stashed away in safety deposit boxes in Las Vegas. They wanted him in jail until they could have him extradited back to Brooklyn. A sympathetic federal magistrate in Las Vegas set bail for Matthews at $5 million, the highest bail amount at the time in U.S. history. On his way out of court, an IRS agent informed Matthews he owed back taxes on $100 million the drug dealer had earned in 1971 alone.

But that wasn’t quite the end of the story. Matthews’ life remains a mystery to this day. Let out in April 1973 on a mere $325,000 bail after serving four months in jail in New York, the 29-year-old Matthews failed to show for a hearing in Brooklyn on a list of felony charges that July. He and his girlfriend Cheryl Denise Brown had vanished. A friend reported that Matthews and Brown took a flight to Houston. Some authorities believe he left with as much as $20 million in laundered cash. A month later, IRS agents, acting on a tip, rushed to a bank in North Carolina. “Oh, you just missed him,” the manager told them.

No trace of Matthews (or Brown) has been found since – no fingerprints, no sightings, no confirmed leads, no recorded contacts with family members. In 1974, the newly formed Drug Enforcement Agency offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to his arrest, then the biggest reward since the one for Depression-era gangster John Dillinger in 1931. Matthews has been compared to Mob boss Charles “Lucky” Luciano and Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar, so skilled was he in the transportation, manufacturing and selling of large amounts of heroin and cocaine, as well as security and money laundering.

The story of how Matthews created a drug empire almost without detection by law enforcement for years while openly defying – and cutting out — New York’s “white” organized crime families is told by author Ron Chepesiuk in his book, Black Caesar: The Rise and Disappearance of Frank Matthews, Kingpin. Chepesiuk spoke at The Mob Museum about his book on Saturday, Feb. 6.

Matthews, born in 1944 in the segregated town of Durham, North Carolina, trained as a barber, drifted to Philadelphia and then to New York in the early 1960s. He earned himself a place in the city’s numbers racket from inside a barbershop and came in contact with underworld figures. Into the mid-1960s, New York’s five Italian crime families and some Jewish underworld figures kept a grip on drug dealing – specifically heroin — in the city’s black neighborhood, Harlem. One black dealer who worked with the “white” mob was the famous gangster Bumpy Johnson, who died in 1968. But by then, independent African-American gangsters started coming into the drug scene.

In the mid-1960s, the Mafia’s famed French Connection of heroin trafficking was still going strong. The Mafia ran the connection by exporting morphine base from opium poppies in Turkey and refining the product in Marseilles, France, where Corsican drug sellers sent the heroin to New York for street sales. It was through the Corsicans that Matthews would later enter the illegal drug trade and rise to become a major dealer.

At first Matthews felt he had to prove himself with New York’s crime groups. He sought the attention of the Gambinos and Bonannos, but they refused to allow him in. Through the numbers racket he met Spanish Raymond Marquez, one of New York’s major numbers operators who introduced Matthews to a Cuban friend, Roland Gonzalez, one of the town’s main drug dealers. Gonzalez had him do some narcotics deals and the two became friends.

When Gonzalez fled to Venezuela to avoid a drug trafficking charge in 1969, he helped set up Matthews back in the States. Gonzalez, working with the Corsicans, became Matthews’ supplier for heroin and cocaine from Latin America, propelling Matthews into the big time. While U.S. authorities were well aware of Gonzalez, for some reason Matthews remained unknown to them for years.

Matthews disliked the Italian crime families and avoided working with them, with the exception of Louis Cirillo, to whom the families entrusted New York’s heroin racket. Through supplies furnished by Gonzales and Cirillo, Matthews, shrewd and brilliant, evolved into New York’s premiere narcotics dealer.

By the early 1970s, his drug empire stretched to 21 states, from Boston to Connecticut to the Midwest, as far south as Alabama and as far west as Missouri. Matthews insisted on working with only African-Americans and some Hispanics as his underbosses. He was making as much as $250,000 in cash per deal. From 1969 to early 1970, he moved 100 to 150 kilos of heroin into New York. In 1971 he brashly held a meeting for his dealers in Atlanta to discuss business, and in 1972 chaired another such conclave in Las Vegas.

But things began to unravel for Matthews in the early 1970s, thanks to a neighbor of his in Brooklyn who was a New York City police detective. The detective grew suspicious while observing Matthews driving luxury cars and being visited day and night by men carrying paper bags. Checks of vehicle license numbers showed some were known drug dealers, although there was nothing solid on Matthews.

Finally, in June 1972, after Matthews’ dealers meeting in Las Vegas, police received permission to tap his phone. He was preparing to move into a large house in an upper-crust neighborhood on Staten Island with his wife and three kids. Authorities learned he was paying airline stewardesses $1,000 a month to smuggle heroin in their flight bags to airport lockers. By then, Matthews was importing cocaine from the Corsicans in Caracas, Venezuela, to his Cuban connection, George Ramos, in Miami. Matthews made some careless remarks over the phone and nine people were arrested, including Ramos in November 1972. Ramos ratted him out in front of a federal grand jury and later entered witness protection. In December, the federal arrest warrant was issued to deliver Matthews.

The law also caught up to Matthews’ gangsters. In February 1975, 18 members of what the New York Daily News described as a “black narcotics ring” on the East Coast were indicted by a federal grand jury, 12 of whom were already serving time for other crimes.

A drug dealer told police that once while visiting Matthews’ New York home to pay him, Matthews told him to put the cash in a nearby closet. The closet, the dealer claimed, was packed to eye level with stacks of money.

North Fox Island pedophile ring

  • Los Angeles Times, "Inside the ‘perversion files’: Malcolm Willis McConahy", 2012/10/22 (PDF of the documents) - had been an Assistant Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 27 in Minneapolis run by the Plymouth Congregational Church, until he was found to have had "homosexual interests and activities involving certain boys within Troop 27" was himself part of the Joyce Methodist Church presided over by Reverend Douglas Marks arrested in July 1965 in Wisconsin Rapids on a misdemeanor charge of circulating pornographic material was in the company of four boys, all of whom he gave money to, at the time of arrest supposedly was planning a move to New York City at that time also
  • Milwaukee Journal, "Check Fraud Charge Leads to Indictment", 1968/09/12: "A young Milwaukee man was indicted by a federal grand jury Thursday in connection with an alleged $57,000 check kiting in which 10 banks, five of them in the Milwaukee area, were victims. Indicted on charges of mail fraud was Malcolm McConahy, 21, formerly of 1029 N. Jackson st. McConahy was arrested Aug. 14 in Minneapolis and is now being held by federal authorities in the Waukesha county jail. According to the indictment, McConahy obtained the money between October, 1967 and April, 1968, while operating a firm called Creative Travel, Inc., 17000 W. North av., Brookfield."
  • St. Petersburg Times, "Starchild is mystery figure in Kelly case", 1980/05/13 (pages 1b, 6b): "The man in front of the computer calls himself Adam Aristotle Starchild. He says he is an international financial consultant who directs his Minerva Consulting Group Inc., based in New York, from a house in the middle of a pasture in northern Pinellas County. He is also Malcolm Willis McConahy, a 33-year-old Minnesota native who has served time in American and British prisons for mail fraud and forgery. He has a record of arrests for sexual perversion. [. ] Federal prosecutors have subpoenaed records of Adam Starchild's involvement with the congressman [Rep. Richard Kelly of New Port Richey FL] and questioned Starchild about his connections with former Kelly aide J. P. Maher. Kelly and Starchild say they have never met each other. It was Maher, Kelly says, who arranged for Starchild's company to handle a campaign mailing list for Kelly's re-election campaign this year. [. ] Beginning last November, he wrote a series of letters filled with accusations of of criminal conduct and influence-peddling on the part of three Maher associates who figure prominently in Abscam. He sent the letters to federal prosecutors, U.S. Sen. Richard Stone of Florida and the U.S. Parole Commission. Starchild's letters apparently helped land the three men back in prison for alleged parole violations, including their association with each other. [. ] As McConahy, he was released was released on probation in 1967 after being convicted of possessing obscene literature and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. In 1968 he was arrested in Milwaukee on charges of sexual perversion and mail fraud. The sex charge stemmed from his alleged involvement with a 16-year-old boy. He was convicted and sentenced to a year and a day in prison on the mail-fraud charge but was released during an appeal. In the middle of the sex trial he disappeared. [. ] At the time of his arrest on the sex charge in 1968, he was operating a travel agency that specialized in trips for youth groups. His travel agency was featured in an August 1966 news account in the Milwaukee Sentinel. [. ] The targets of Starchild's latest letter-writing are three convicted felons who, like Starchild, came into contact with Kelly through J. P. Maher, Kelly's former aide. Two of the three men — Joseph F. Valverde of Holiday and Samuel Glasser, a disbarred New York lawyer — were arrested a month ago for alleged parole violations. Both men were classmates of Maher at Cornell University and were convicted in a 1975 cocaine-smuggling conspiracy in New York. The third man, Robert Michaelson, a New York businessman, was convicted in 1976 of filing false documents with a federal agency as part of a plot to sell submachine guns in the United States. Michaelson and Glasser met in prison and later became business associates in Volume Trading Corp., a Long Island business that has been linked to Kelly. [. ] Glasser and Michaelson were arrested in New York and are being held in a federal prison in that state. Valverde is being held in Miami. Starchild says he met Maher through Glasser in the spring of 1978 and frequently had dinner with him after he moved to Tarpon Springs in August 1979. Maher steered Starchild to a Holiday lawyer who obtained a charter for Keystone Farms Inc., the corporation Starchild used to buy a $139,000 farm on County Road 77 near Tarpon Springs. Maher also interceded on Starchild's behalf with a Clearwater auto dealer who had helped Kelly in the past. Maher arranged for Starchild to sell two vehicles to the dealer and then lease both of them back."
    • New York Times, "Lawyer Guilty in Drug Case", 1975/12/17: "A 30‐year‐old lawyer and his partner in a wine importing business were convicted of conspiracy to distribute cocaine in New York. The lawyer, Samuel Glasser of 202 Fast 62d Street, and his partner, Joseph F: Valverde, 27, of 205 East 63d Street, were found guilty after an eight‐day trial in Federal District Court here. Each could be sentenced to a maximum of 15 years in prison on each of three counts."
    • New York Times, "2 Get Prison for Cocaine Conspiracy", 1976/01/28: "Samuel Glasser, a 30‐year‐old Manhattan lawyer, and Joseph F. Valverde, 27, his associate in a wine‐importing company, were sentenced to four‐year prison terms for conspiracy to smuggle cocaine. Judge Thomas P. Griesa sentenced them in Federal District Court here. The prosecutors were Thomas E. Engel and John P. Flannery."

    This indictment is significant because it involves a South American importation-distribution conspiracy allegedly run and operated by relatively young upper middle class professionals. Samuel Glasser, a 30 year old Manhattan attorney, and Joseph Valverde, a 26 year old businessman are principals in Vintage Vendors, Inc., a company that imports wine from Argentina. The indictment charges that Glasser and Valverde over a one and a half year period imported cocaine from various South American countries, including Bolivia and Argentiana and distributed that cocaine in the New York area.

    The defendant Eugene Piper, a 27 year old male model, is charged as one of the middlemen in the operation. It is alleged that Glasser and Valverde sold some of the imported cocaine to Piper who in turn distributed the drugs to the defendants Steven Greenstein and Martin Kreimen.

    • Boulder Daily Camera, "Paladin Press, Boulder’s chronicler of combat, to shut down after 47 years", 2017/11/30: "Paladin Press, the controversial Boulder-based publisher of titles chronicling the world of combat, conflict and survival — including the notorious “Hit Man” how-to manual — took its final order Wednesday and will be out of business at the end of the year, according to its website. [. ] The announcement comes less than six months after the death of Peder Lund, Paladin Press’ co-founder and publisher, who died suddenly June 3 while on vacation in Finland, according to the publication’s website. Paladin press was founded in 1970 by Lund and Robert K. Brown, the future publisher of Boulder’s Soldier of Fortune magazine. Brown, a Boulder resident, said in an interview Thursday that his interest in Paladin Press was bought out by Lund in 1974."

    JonBenet Ramsey connection

    Worth noting: James Dudley Ramsey (also known as James D. Ramsey, James Ramsey, Jay Ramsey, or Czar Ramsey), the father of John Ramsey and grandfather of JonBenet Ramsey, was the director of the Michigan Aeronautics Commission from 1957 until 1979, encompassing the period that Shelden had the airstrip constructed and was flying both children and pedophile clients to North Fox Island. He had previously lived in Nebraska (home to pedophile activities of its own) where he was the director of the Nebraska Aeronautics Commission from 1947 to 1956.

    According to stories in Book One, there have been two Witch Wars. Both of these wars tore the Land of Oz apart as the Witches combined their powers and created vast armies to fight against the kings and queens of the land.

    In the Second Witch War, the Witches obtained an alliance and power from the Queen of Dreams, a mysterious ruler from across the sea. The Witches unwisely used this power and poisoned and destroyed the sea. The sea became a toxic desert that surrounds the Land of Oz.

    Book One details the beginning of the Third Witch War, as the Wicked Witches again combine their power to overthrow the rulers of the land. While this book begins the Third Witch Wars, they do not end until later books, with the arrival of a young “sorceress” (Dorothy) to the Land of Oz.


    Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Green River Plantation is an expansive, forty-two-room mansion perched atop a rise over-looking the flood plain of Western North Carolina’s, Green River. Located just seven miles from downtown Rutherfordton, North Carolina, the original Federal-style, Green River House was constructed in the years 1804-1807 by Joseph McDowell Carson. The sprawling four-story house was built by Carson for his beloved wife, Rebekah, and faced northwest towards the Green River. Joseph McDowell Carson was a distinguished lawyer and represented Rutherford County in the North Carolina House of Commons in 1813 and 1814. He was elected to the state senate in 1832, 1836, and 1838.

    Perhaps the most infamous of the early Green River Plantation owners was Samuel Price Carson, half-brother to Joseph McDowell Carson. Samuel Price Carson served as a U.S. Representative for North Carolina and fought one of the most talked about duels in North Carolina history, between he and Dr. Robert Vance, which left Dr. Vance mortally wounded. During the Greek Revival period of the pre-Civil War days (c. 1820-1840), Samuel built a separate structure of similar proportions as the original Green River House but slightly to the rear of the original structure.

    Following the Civil War, the two structures were united with a center hall, which today contains the mansion’s glorious main staircase. Sixteen hand carved mantels from Philadelphia, scores of millwork patterns, crown molding, hand-glazed window panes, intricately designed door hinges and window latches were also included in the construction of the “big house.”

    In the tradition of landscaping grand homes of the 19th century, an English garden was designed, including a maze of boxwoods, for the plantation’s front lawn. Surrounding the “big house” were various structures including a smoke house, ice house, plantation kitchen, stables, and slaves cabins. Following the Civil War, the plantation was bought by Frank Coxe, husband of Mary Carson Mills, who was a granddaughter of the original owners and had lived there as a child. They spent most of their time in Asheville, North Carolina and used Green River as a summer home. Coxe was an investor in real estate and railroad interests as well as a leader in the development of Asheville as a health resort and vacation center.

    The plantation later became the property of Miss Maude Coxe, daughter of Frank and Mary Coxe. Miss Maude lived there for 30 years and after her death bequeathed the property to her niece, Mrs. Daisy Coxe Forbes, whose sons later inherited the property. Those sons, who were the great-great-great-grandsons of the original builder, sold the property in 1958, and thus for the first time in six generations ownership of the property passed out of the original family. Since then the house has passed from owner to owner and eventually sat uninhabited for a period of over five years before Eugene and Ellen Cantrell purchased the plantation in 1987. The house had fallen into a serious state of disrepair, and the restoration project, which the Cantrells undertook to return the mansion to its former glory, was an extensive one. Great pains were taken in trying to recreate original paint colors and floor finishes. Window treatments and accessories were carefully chosen in the interior design of the mansion, as the Cantrell family worked to recapture the era in which the home was built.

    Today, the Cantrell family retains ownership of the plantation estate known as Green River Plantation

    During the golden days of railroading, Barney-Smith and Pullman vied for supremacy of the elegant rail car business. In 1906, Barney Smith manufactured this car as an “observation car”. It remained unsold until 1909, when it was purchased by the Northern Pacific Railroad and remodeled to suit their needs as a private car for the president of the railroad.

    Car NO. 1787 (downtown car) served as a presidential car until it was replaced in 1931.

    Stranded in Seattle at the height of the depression, NO. 1787 found a new home. Frank Knight, the brother and sometime partner of Jack Knight of Spokane, bought the presidential car and converted it into a diner car in 1931.

    With over 100 years of dining elegance we are proud you have chosen to share your day with us.

    (North Spokane, Newport Highway)

    Visit this beautiful 1913 Laketon NO 4216 – With all the presidential elegance of its older brother NO. 1787.


    Franks is so loved that this local gentlemen added us to his huge train collection and made us his regular stop station – This looks so authentic we have photos of his work hanging in the downtown location.

    Watch the video: Frank Castorf, Nord (May 2022).